History

History

The origin of the history of Pastas Alimenticias Romero S.A. dates back to 1926 when D. Manuel Romero Marqués founded the company under the name La competidora: Pastas para sopa. It was more of a small workshop where with very artisanal production systems a reduced daily production was obtained.

Primeras trabajadoras de Pastas RomeroThe founder with the first workersAntigua Fábrica Pastas Romero 1st Production Plant of Romero Pasta Máquina Antigua Fábrica Pastas Romero1st Machine for Pasta Production

In 1930 as a result of the increasing demand for pasta, Manuel Romero decided to build a new factory and so he brought in new technologies in line with the times.

In 1943 the first semi-automatic production line was purchased. During this time, Manuel Romero spares no means or economic resources, since he considered critical to the success of the company the incorporation into the production process of new technologies.

In 1950, his sons Manuel and Jose took over the business, so the transfer of power from the first to the second generation took place.

In 1969, in view of the growth of the sector in Spain and noting the strategic performance of the leading companies of pasta in Italy, the Romero family thought of the need to build a new more modern production plant. One possibility was moving the family business to an industrial area in Zaragoza, location equipped with better facilities, communications and closer to consumers. Although the proposal was feasible from the economic and trade stand point and it was decided to keep the production plant in Daroca, due to the strong identification with the people and the desire to maintain jobs. Jobs mostly held by the residents of Daroca and the surrounding area.

In 1970 the production capacity of the factory was that of 25,000 kilograms per day. In the early 70s there were significant technological changes that were adopted by Romero brothers, always under the supervision of their father. Thus they replaced production lines of static drying process for production lines of continuous process. Is in the mid-seventies when the onset of production lines with drying at high temperatures, the full automation of the production processes and increasing manufacturing capacity of their own production lines revolutionized the business of pasta as such and as it was known at the time. These technical changes together with the increasing competition in the industry of dietary pasta due to the creation of new companies, forced Manuel Romero to adapt to changing times. In this way the company made new investments by installing one of the first continuous lines of long pasta ever in Spain and faced the future in a fast and determined manner, considering at all times technological innovation as a key element in business success.

In 1980, Manuel Romero’s industry became a Plc, changing the name to that of Pastas Alimenticias Romero S.A. Francisco Javier Romero Inigo, grandson of Manuel Romero, joined the group although it was not until 10 years later, in 1990, when the transfer from the second to the third generation occurred. In that year the company was responsible for a staff of 40 employees and its manufacturing capacity was that of 80,000 kilos per day.

During these years Manuel Romero despite not holding any director position, was tied to the company, even until the last days of life he still walked around the factory, chatting with workers and observing the evolution of the business. Manuel Romero died in Daroca in 1989.